Solon United Methodist Church
The mission and vision of Solon United Methodist Church is to make and mature disciples of Jesus Christ for the transformation of the world. We live the love of Jesus every day, caring and connecting people to Jesus Christ.
Director of Family Ministry
Vision and Objective
The Director of Family Ministry (Director) for Solon United Methodist Church (SUMC) will encourage children (nursery through 6th grade) and families in the congregation and in the community to grow in faith as Christians. The Director will develop relationships, establish programs, and work with church leaders and volunteers to address the spiritual formation of children, families and adults so that all God’s children intersecting with SUMC are kept safe, and receive welcome, love and encouragement to grow in strength and wisdom.
The Director must be a Christian committed to growth in his or her love for God. The Director should show evidence of a passion for family ministry and prior effective leadership experience. Applicants should be trained and ready to take on the challenge of formulating a vision and plan for family ministry in productive communication with the Pastor and church leadership. This person should demonstrate at least a basic knowledge of child development, and understand the importance of providing a safe and nurturing environment for children. Useful skills for this position include the ability to: (a) listen to and communicate with people of all ages; (b) recruit and train volunteers; and (c) develop, establish and implement a plan for effective faith formation. The Director should show genuine interest in responding to the hopes, needs and concerns of families in the community.
The Director will work under the supervision of the Pastor, but receive support and annual review from the Staff Parish Relations Committee. The Director will provide periodic, but no less than quarterly, reports on family ministry to SUMC’s Council. Such reports will incorporate benchmarks for growth in the number of families participating in ministry programs.
1. Establish overall direction and administration for the family ministries of SUMC.
2. Recruit, train, and support a team of volunteers to work with children.
3. Cultivate healthy relationships with children and their families.
4. Communicate ministry information to children, parents, volunteers, staff and the Pastor.
5. Work cooperatively with any volunteer or paid leader for SUMC’s junior and high school youth group.
6. Work with adults to develop a discipleship ministry.
7. Select and develop age appropriate curriculum consistent with United Methodist theology, doctrine and polity.
8. Plan and be responsible for special events for children and their families, including summer vacation bible school, and seasonal celebrations such as Thanksgiving, Advent, Christmas, Lent Easter and Pentecost.
9. Participate in the compliance of SUMC’s ministries with regard to safe sanctuaries training and execution.
10. Prepare budget requests and monitor expenditures of the children and family ministries of SUMC.
Position Type and Expected Hours of Work
This is a part-time position and includes working during programming hours on Sundays. The commitment is expected to average 10 hours per week. Compensation is negotiable, but is expected to be consistent with industry standards and commensurate with the skill level and training of the applicant.
SUMC commits to offering the support and training necessary for the Director to successfully accomplish the duties envisioned for the position. At the outset of employment, SUMC will connect the Director to individuals at the United Methodist Church District and Conference levels who are specialists in spiritual formation and family ministry. SUMC expects the Director will meet with such individual(s) as part of the onboarding and training process. SUMC encourages, and, if necessary, will help facilitate, the Director to network with family ministry leaders in nearby Christian congregations. The church budget will include funds for curriculum, along with educational and training materials. SUMC will pay reasonable expenses for the Director to attend annually one family ministry conference, or similar training program, chosen by the Director in consultation with the Pastor.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this position. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time.
If interested: CONTACT PASTOR CYNTHIA THEOBALD at email@example.com or 440-248-1573.